Thursday, February 17, 2011

another spaghetti sauce side-track?

A couple years ago I got side-tracked by the color of spaghetti sauce. At that time, I fell in love with the color and dropped everything to paint my kitchen walls.

Today I used the remaining paint in the gallon can to paint over three very bad oil paintings. I had the first panel almost completely covered, just one more brush stroke of red to go in the upper left corner, but I loved the original color peeking through so I left that area unpainted. On the second and third panels, I deliberately left areas without red paint. Now, I'm feeling myself pulled toward abstraction...side-tracked again.

4 comments:

  1. I really like these Barbara. Hope that you paint over some more bad paintings! I find the surprise and discovery of abstraction exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debora, me too (the surprise and discovery of abstraction). But, I have to think so hard and there is so much inner dialogue that I also find it exhausting. Thanks for checking in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to be so inspired, Barbara! Spaghetti sauce is a gorgeous color that deserves to be seen outside of the kitchen. I love the thrill of looking at a painting up close and discovering that one color was allowed to peek through, not just applied next to another color at the same time. What a successful side-track!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant, Barbara, thank you for paying attention as you were spreading the sauce. Wonderful happy accident. Now what? Are they the latest Newmans? I really like them--the back story is such a hoot. Wm

    ReplyDelete