Friday, February 15, 2013

bosc pear color study and progress

I haven't really explored fruit in pastel so during these few weeks of play I'm trying a pear on Wallis paper.

To prepare, I painted a color study in oil (shown above), "Bosc Color Study," oil on panel, 7.75 x 7.875 inches. Watch for this painting on the Daily Paintworks auction.

Below is the progress of my pastel painting that is about twice the size of the color study - 13 x 13 inches.

First, a line drawing was done with blue pastel pencil, then an oil-wash under painting. The two bottom photos show the beginning of adding pastel (left) and at about 70% complete. The surface the pear is sitting on is plastic wrap (wrinkly) protecting a sheet of blue Canson Mi-Teintes paper from pear juice. The color on these shots isn't perfect but I'll post the finished piece when I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment