Wednesday, August 28, 2013

if you don't read french...


 Follow Your Heart  |  pastel  |  10.5 x 12 inches



 This is a reference photo of the scene at Point Defiance Park, Tacoma, Washington.

My painting, Follow Your Heart, was the subject of a recent article for Pratique des Arts magazine. A huge thank you to my nephew Hunter for translating the article into English so I could read it. Over the next few days, I will be posting the painting steps here for you. 

Step 1-Working from a Ghost Image
To reuse the paper from a previous pastel panting, I remove the pastel from its frame and brush the pastel off, or if it is a paper that tolerates water such as Wallis, I wash the pastel off. This cleaning will leave a ghost image that is trace color for the foundation of my future painting.  Inspiration can come from stains that remain after washing the surface.

See step 2 tomorrow...





2 comments:

  1. Genial interpretation served by an excellent technique. A beauty. And before I read the article which is a magnificent lesson. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Luciano. I should mention that I have changed the translation in some of the upcoming steps on this blog - reverting back to the original text that I submitted.

    For EACH step, I submitted 500 words. FIVE HUNDRED! If you have seen the magazine you know they did a great job of condensing my thoughts down to about 100 words in French for each step.

    ReplyDelete